So I made Tacos for the first time last week. I know, I know. Super late to that fiesta. Anywho, they smelled sooo good so I decided to whip up a vegan (vegetarian) version. I say vegetarian because the only non-vegan ingredient is the Chobani which acts as sour cream. This could easily be replaced with a vegan sour cream!
My husband said he didn’t know if he liked these or the or regular beef tacos better. This is coming from a non veg-head, ya’ll. So that alone says just how delish they are 😉
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1 Medium White Onion
- 1 Jalapeño pepper
- 11 oz. Beyond Meat Beef (Feisty Crumble)- I bet Boca Crumbles would work well too (Thank you Heather for the suggestion!)
- Daiya cheese Classic Blend
- (1) 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
- Tomatoes (I like to use Wild Wonders, but any will do!)
- Romaine Lettuce
- Taco Shell of Choice (hard, soft, or butter/bibb lettuce)
- Plain Chobani or vegan sour cream of choice **Optional
- Cilantro *Optional
- 2 TBSP chili powder
- 1 TBSP ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Wash all produce
- Dice onion
- Thinly slice and dice jalapeño
- Dice tomato and thinly shred lettuce
- Make taco mix
- In a large skillet, add 1 TBSP of Olive Oil over medium-high heat
- Add the onion and jalapeño, sautee until white onion and jalapeño are soft and fragrant (may take about 6-10 minutes)
- Stir in the beyond beef until evenly mixed with the onion and pepper.
- Stir in tomato sauce
- Allow the tomato sauce to evaporate and absorb into the meat, while stirring occasionally- may take up to 20-25 minutes
- When all tomato sauce is absorbed, add about 3 TBSP of taco seasoning and stir evenly
- Plate your taco shells/lettuce as desired (some may recommend heating in the oven prior)
- Add cheese first (Reason: with vegan cheese it is harder to melt, so add some on the bottom of the shell first and the hot “meat” melts it)
- Add taco meat on top
- Top with lettuce, tomato, cilantro, and “sour cream” if desired
Nutrition (per serving, 8 servings total)* Using Beyond beef, 1 TBSP chobani, 1/4 cup of Daiya cheese, and no shell per taco
35 thoughts on “Vegan Tacos”
These look sooo good! Definitely going to have to try
Girl- they are. I wasn’t sure how they were going to turn out, but they were so easy and delicious!!
Oh yum!!!! Ok, now I will have to cook some tacos this week… it’s just been too long since I last made some.
I hope you are doing great, sunshine… I have been quiet lately, but I will catch up soon 🙂 *hugs*
Ahh, Cyranny! Seeing your name pop up put a smile on my face. No worries at all! I know you have had visitors and are a busy bee! Just hearing this from you now is a treat!! Hope you are so well <3 Big hugs right back to you!! ….. Oh, and I hope you get yourself some yummy tacos 😉
My mouth is watering! Tacos are life!! So good! I’ve never made any before and your recepie looks easy enough! I’ll have to try it! 🌮
YAYYY!!!! 😍😋 you won’t regret it, girlie!!!
Yum!!! These sound so delish. My kids would absolutely devour these. 😊
I so hope they enjoy 🙂 !!
Yummy looking Tacos
Thank ya! My husband (who is not vegan or vegetarian in any way, loves them!) Let me know if you ever give them a go 🙂
Sure Mack 🙂
Yum! I miss cheese soooo much. I may give Daiya another try after reading your recipe! PS I LOVE butter lettuce. What a fabulous idea for the “shell”. 😊
Thanks, Jessica! I highly recommend if you try them, to put the cheese in first in the shell. It helps melt the cheese well. And I love the crisp lettuce with the savory “meat”- so good! I hope you enjoy 🙂
Oooooh! Cheese in first!! That’s brilliant. That’s exactly the reason I gave up on Daiya cheese. Never could get it to melt and it’s so expensive. So I just gave up cheese pretty much. Ha. May try that. Thanks, great idea.
Yay!!!! <3 When I reheated the leftover tacos I put the cheese in with them and that made the cheese melt even more! I hope it works for you 🙂
Loved it totally…my pick was lettuce tacos.😊😋
That’s my favorite too 😋
Reblogged this on Roberta Pimentel.
Thank you SO MUCH, Roberta. Just made my day <3
Looks yummy! I’ve been using those crumbles for chili and love them. Can’t wait to try your recipe!
Awesome!!!!! Please enjoy 🙂 ! I definitely should try out using them for chili, what a great idea!
I can’t wait to try this! My sister in-law is vegan so I might make up a batch the next time I go for a visit and take some pressure off my meat-eating brother.
Hehe- AWESOME!!! I know she would love them! (And like I mentioned my husband isn’t even vegan, and he LOVED them!)
Oh my god these look so yummy! I love tacos. Vegan, Seafood, meat, whatever if there is taco at the end of it I will eat it! 🙂 <3
Hehe- they turned out SO good! Like I was seriously shocked just howww good!
Lol. You got culinary skeeelz lady! 🙂 <3
*Blushing!!!!* I have got such a long way to go, but thank you so much <3 That's like the greatest compliment of my life haha
Lol Awe I am glad I could make your day! 🙂 We are all our own worst critic. I know when I was a chef I hated everything I made. Actually I still do 🙂 lol. <3
Your vegan tacos sound and look delicious! If I just saw a picture of them, I’d never guess they were meat free. Go girl! Also, love the idea of using Chobani as sour cream!
Thanks girl!!!!!! Yes! Chobani is such a great substitute for sour cream! I put it on my potatoes too! 😋